Friday, March 10, 2006

Oops. I broked it.

The day started so well, up until the point at which I went to check how much change was left in our self service ticket machine.

Seeing it was rather short of £1 coins and 10ps (which it should be recycling, rather than dumping into the coin box), I figured I'd empty the car park machines to get sufficient change to top it up.

Being the conscientious person I am, I duly put the coins into plastic coin bags (making it easier to count), and "sold" them into the main float, exchanging them for notes.

Having worked out how much I needed (not as much as I wanted on the 10p front, but still), I duly headed out to the machine to do so, so I opened her up, and opened the flap protecting the hoppers. I added the 10p's with no problem, and then started on the £1 coins...All was going well until I managed to drop one of the plastic coin bags into the hopper.

Goes without saying that I panicked somewhat at that, and promptly hit the "Empty" button, to dump the entire contents of the hopper into the exit tray. Unfortunately, I hadn't told the machine that I'd added the cash at this point, so it dumped much more money than there should have been.

Having dumped it, I transferred the cash to a fabric coin bag, swapped the coin and note boxes with empty ones, printed off the "Shift Sheet" for the machine, and headed back into the office to count up what I had, and report the failure to the manufacturer.

So we now have an extra lot of money sitting in the safe that should be in the machine, and I've left my colleague a note for the morning to tell her what happened...The Engineer is supposed to be turning up on Monday, but we'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home